Serendipity. Magic. Wonder. Possibilities. All words I love because of all the wonderfully delicious things they elude to being in store. Imagine the following:
- The moment the plane takes off and you are off to your destination
- Bouncing back after heartbreak and disappointment when you thought you never could
- The feeling of opening up a book and not knowing what awaits in this new world before you
- Early mornings and the excitement of all the things that could happen that day
- The explosion of flavor on your taste buds with the first bite of a yummy meal
- The moment you arrive at a new place. You know nothing. An entire city of possibilities is before you
What do all these things have in common? They hold wonder, magic, possibilities. It’s when you encounter serendipity. It’s when your heart is full of excitement and ready to welcome all the wonderful and unknown things that could happen.
Possibilities are when you have new experiences and new avenues to explore and discover. They put you in contact with new ideas, opportunities, and people. They open up your life to almost anything.
If you’re anything like me, then this sounds amazing to you. I’m obsessed with the possibility of possibilities. All the new and unknown things that are in store for our lives. All the WONDERFUL new and unknown things.
Here’s the secret though. I don’t believe possibilities, magic, or even serendipity is something that just happens. I think it’s something that you go out and find. Something that you MAKE happen and appear in your life. Maybe that sounds less magical, but to me knowing that I have endless possibilities because I can CREATE them is where the magic lies. Here are 21 ideas to create possibilities in your life. Try one tip every week or even once a month. You’d be surprised at the changes and the opportunity that can occur in your life when you set the stage for possibilities to occur.
1. Explore a book store and get a book that’s different from what you usually read
In my opinion, bookstores hold the ultimate amount of possibilities. There are an endless amount of things you can learn, places you can go, characters you can meet, and whole new worlds to open up to you.
2. Take a walk on your lunch break with no predetermined destination
You’d be surprised the things you will see that you don’t usually notice while you’re driving. Maybe you’ll find a new lunch spot or have an adventure. If not, at least you’ll get some fresh air.
3. Go to a networking event
Aim to talk to at least three new people. Even if you don’t meet someone who can provide you with a new opportunity right then and there, expanding your network usually leads to new opportunities in the future.
4. Explore an area of your city or just outside your city that you’ve never been to
Seeing new things is all about looking at life with a fresh perspective, but going to a new place to have new landscapes to look upon never hurts!
5. Talk to someone while you’re waiting in line
You don’t need to wait for a specific event to network.
6. Eat a new food every day for a week
Or figure out a new way to prepare a food you usually eat every day for a week.
7. Go somewhere to people watch
You’ll be surprised at the things you can learn and the ideas it will help you come up with.
8. Let go of a grudge
How amazing it will feel to be a little bit lighter and open yourself to positive energy.
9. Do something you think you can’t do
Maybe you are braver than you think. Challenging your beliefs will open up the possibility of new ideas.
10. Take a weekend trip
How much fun and relaxation can you fit in two days?
11. Wake up an hour earlier and do whatever you want
What will you do with your newfound time?
PS. Put away your to-do list. This YOUR time, do something you feel like. Anything. Whether that’s writing a mystery book, sitting quietly to sip a cup of tea, or watching mindless reality television. It’s your hour.
12. Go somewhere that inspires you. Just sit. Do whatever you like
For me that place is the beach.
13. Create a list of small changes and tackle one a day or even one a week
Life is built by the small things we do. Accumulate small things to build your dream life.
14. Ask to join a project at work that’s outside your usual department
You will learn new things, meet new people, maybe even re-discover your passion for your job.
15. Tap into your inner artist and paint, take some pictures, dance…
Maybe you’ll discover a hidden talent or just relieve some stress.
16. Join a group to do activities that interest you, like Meetup.com. Even if you have enough friends!
You’ll spend time doing something you enjoy and at the same time get out of your comfort zone, meet new people, and be exposed to new things.
17. Learn a new skill
It’s exciting to be able to do something new and opens up so many possibilities and ideas of things you can do.
18. Eat a tiny dessert
Small enough to really savor every bite and small enough not to feel guilty about.
19. Break a bad habit
What positive habits you can replace your time and energy on?
20. Do something that you find scary
You might find out that you’re braver than you thought.
21. Do something alone
It’s liberating to enjoy your own company. Once you learn to learn it, you’ll never have to wait for anyone else ever again to do something you want to do. Plus you notice so much more of what’s going on around you when you’re alone.
Did you try any of these tips? Let me know in the comments down below if you experienced any opportunities by opening your life to possibilities.